Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Starting Point

The first class was a basic introduction to the course, Video I. The class participated in an exercise to understand how each of us learn on an individual basis. We began discussing our first class activity, the long take, by watching several examples seen in films. 

The second week of class we looked at Taylor Swift's new music video, "Never Getting Back Together," as it is another example of a long take. We broke up into group to brainstorm ideas for developing our own long take. This exercise is very interesting to me as it is our first chance to use a camera and create our own production.

I have never used a camera for more than just taking photos. I took this class because I am a communication major and have already taken courses such as, Introduction to Multimedia and Graphics I. Those course interested me a great deal. I learned the art of blogging and how to use the programs Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator. I am interested in learning more about the camera that goes further than the basics. I want to learn how to edit video and put scenes together that flow well together to develop my own production.

I am very excited to partake in the long take exercise which we will be filming next class period. My group members are Jenny, Erin, and Aaron. Our idea involves following someone who has lost something, where the audiences knows where the object is but the person who it belongs to has no idea. They must retrace their steps in order to find it. 

Before we shoot the actually long take we will learn about the "anatomy" of the camera. Professor Dunmore has added a link of different "Shot Types" on our class Moodle page. In reading this link I learned about shots such as the wide shot, the close up shot, the over-the-shoulder shot, the noddy shot, the point of view shot, and the weather shot. After learning about the "anatomy" of the camera, I hope my group members and I will be able to incorporate some of these shot types in our long take. 

As the third week approaches it is still only the starting point of the class. I do not know much about camera principles, but by the end I hope to gain a greater knowledge and understanding for the art of video production and the power of the camera. I am excited for what this class has in store for me and eager to learn!     

No comments:

Post a Comment